Small inconsistency between string.split and "".split

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Sep 17 08:32:54 EDT 2004

aleaxit at yahoo.com (Alex Martelli) writes:

> Having ALL C-coded functions and methods that accept any argument
> accept keyword-style arguments in particular would surely lead to a
> more consistent language,

[...]

This whole area isn't particularly pretty.  In general it would be
better to expose more of an extension functions signature *outside*
the function, for efficiency, introspection and even things like
psyco.  METH_O, METH_NOARGS are a step in this direction -- but you
can't pass a keyword argument to a METH_O function (not that one would
want to, very often, but it's still a potential inconsistency).

I wonder what Pyrex does...

My thoughts on this area, like many others, can probably be summarized
as "I hate C".

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Enlightenment is probably antithetical to impatience.
                                        -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp