Python and Sybase

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Sep 26 21:23:39 EDT 2004

Moof wrote:

> Nelson Minar wrote:
>

>>While we're here, is there a free module for accessing SQLServer from
>>Python? Last I checked this Sybase driver was the only option.
>

> Pywin32 (formerly win32all) has an odbc module which is DB-API 1.0 compliant.

I believe Mark Hammond doesn't make exaggerated claims for this module,
and I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

> There's also adodbapi, which is DB-API 2.0 compliant.

For what it's worth, I actually managed to use adodbapi as a drop-in
replacement for mx.ODBC.Windows accessing a SQL Server database - there
were resource-utilization problems, which we eventually traced to IIS
(lest anyone should interpret this as criticism of mx.ODBC, an excellent
piece of software).

> I haven't used the latter enough to work out if it's reasonably useful. I
> don't get on with the former very well, though.
>
> Oh, and non-free there's mxODBC, which also works under unix.

Also, remember, mx.ODBC's licensing allow use on non-commercial projects
without charge.

> Also from unix someone mentioned a module based on ODBTP, which hasn't yet
> surfaced out in the wild.
>
> Moof

regards
  Steve