Xah Lee's Unixism

jmfbahciv at aol.com jmfbahciv at aol.com
Sun Sep 5 05:34:21 EDT 2004

In article <87vfeut0at.fsf at k9.prep.synonet.com>,
   Paul Repacholi <prep at prep.synonet.com> wrote:
>jmfbahciv at aol.com writes:
>
>> In article <87d613mckn.fsf at k9.prep.synonet.com>,
>>    Paul Repacholi <prep at prep.synonet.com> wrote:
>
>>>All of them where in the 4.x monitir I used. many of the 427 source
>>>file are on Tim's site, so you can have a look in COMTAB and see.
>
>> huh..The why did I have to do TTY:_DT0:/L or LPT:_DT0:/L to get
>> directories?  And to print a file on the line printer required the
>> PIP command LPT:_DSK:FOO.FOR
>
>My bad... I claim bit rot of the grey stuff...

Whew!  Oh, good.  At least I'm not complete nuts.  I don't
good that your brain has rot but good that my brain didn't.

>Yes DIR and friends came later, post or part of(?) COMPIL.

Well, I always got confused with the lingo, too.  There was
the program COMPIL and then there were the compile-class
commands which had a little something to do with COMPIL
but not really.  I never did sort out the lingo.

The program COMPIL picked up where and which compiler would
get GETSEGed into your address space to compile your the
program specification you handed it.  If your file had a
non-standard extension, e.g., FOO.BAR, COMPIL had a
heirarchal list of which compiler to choose to process
the contents of FOO.BAR.  I always liked to feed a FORTRAN
program to COBOL and visa versa just to see if I wreak any
havoc to the compiler and the monitor.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.