Xah Lee's Unixism

Morten Reistad firstname at lastname.pr1v.n0
Wed Sep 8 07:05:17 EDT 2004

In article <p9qdnTnxTYDJR6PcRVn-pw at speakeasy.net>,
Rob Warnock <rpw3 at rpw3.org> wrote:
>John Thingstad <john.thingstad at chello.no> wrote:
>+---------------
>| As you may know XP is not particularly good as a server.
>| I would go for some Unix implementation (perhaps free-BSD)
>| As a workstation XP seems OK.
>| I hear a lot of complaints about XP's stability.
>| Since I have not administered a XP network, yet, I cant comment on that.
>| But in my personal experience it is a stable system.
>| I frequently let my computer run 24 hrs. a day for more than a month
>| without a need to reboot. So for me it is adequate.
>+---------------

There you say it all. I consider two of my FreeBSD-boxes unstable
at the moment. I've had to reboot each of them twice in 18 months.
They both run the full complement of apache, sendmail, mysql, Free/SWAN
leafnode and a score of other stuff; and they go into wedged mode.

Different expectations.

>*Only* a month?!?  Here's the uptime for one of my FreeBSD boxes
>[an old, slow '486]:
>
>    %  uptime
>     2:44AM  up 630 days, 21:14, 1 user, load averages: 0.06, 0.02, 0.00
>    %
>
>That's over *20* months!!
>

>-Rob
>
>p.s. I remember the time back in the early 70's (at Emory Univ.) when
>we called DEC Field Service to complain that our PDP-10 had an uptime
>of over a year. Why were we complaining? Well, that meant that DEC Field
>Service had failed to perform scheduled preventive maintenance (which
>usually involved at least one power cycle)...  ;-}

I had a customer complaint at Prime framed at their tech dept; it was
about wrapped counters after ~300 days uptime.

-- mrr