New to Python

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Mon Sep 27 19:02:05 EDT 2004

On Sep 27, 2004, at 4:33 PM, Fuzzyman wrote:

> If you're not prepared to think about the way you frame your question
> then you are basically hoping that other people will do your thinking
> for you. It's not much fun helping someone like that...............

	I've been following this discussion, and as someone who has been
answering questions for a variety of technical matters for many years,
I just thought I'd share my view.

	Obviously, having the poster pose a perfectly framed question, with
complete information, etc., is the ideal. Nobody minds helping someone
who is so well organized. But there are lots of other people out there
who don't know enough to try what seems like the obvious steps. People
new to a language tend to get nervous posting; it's hard to write an
intelligent question when you're feeling stupid.

	My advice to those who find such poorly-worded posts offensive is to
ignore them. Yes, they could have done a much better job, so if you
want to respond, ask them for the information that would be relevant in
figuring out their problem. Often they don't know what's important and
what isn't. But by all means, taking the time to chastise them doesn't
help anyone. Either don't bother doing anything if you don't have the
time to spend with them, or ask for what you need.

	Community is a very positive energy. Keep building it!

      ___/
     /
    __/
   /