Greenlets: where are they now???

David Pokorny davebrok at soda.csua.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 14 13:00:07 EDT 2004

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:O8ydnWISdtpzWtvcRVn-gw at powergate.ca...
> I don't
> believe the greenlets approach would necessarily guarantee that,
> either, since there are bytecodes that can consume unbounded
> amounts of time.
>
> You've described the characteristics that you think your
> solution requires, but still not the actual problem.

Here's the idea: the executions I want to step through are bots that are
competing, 1 on 1, in a mathematical game (or otherwise, perhaps simulated
tag). Here is a good (and old) example

http://soda.csua.berkeley.edu/~davebrok/knobeln.txt

To answer your first point, although I do not write the bot code, anyone can
look at it, and in particular anyone can verify that no "cheating" occurs
along the lines of performing serious number crunching in a single bytecode
(via a C extension---AFAIK this is the main loophole in the
unbounded-execution-time-for-a-single-bytecode department).

David