Xah Lee's Unixism

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Thu Sep 9 09:42:20 EDT 2004

Morten Reistad <firstname at lastname.pr1v.n0> writes:
> It was an upgrade from 56k. The first versions of NSFnet was not
> really scalable either; noone knew quite how to design a erally
> scalable network, so that came as we went.

we had a project that i called HSDT
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#hsdt

for high-speed data transport ... to differentiate from a lot of stuff
at the time that was communication oriented ... and had real T1 (in
some cases clear-channel T1 w/o the 193rd bit) and higher speed
connections. It had an operational backbone ... and we weren't allowed
to directly bid NSFNET1 .... although my wife went to the director of
NSF and got a technical audit. The technical audit summary said
something to the effect that what we had running was at least five
years ahead of all NSFNET1 bid submissions to build something new.

one of the other nagging issues was that all links on the internal
network
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet

had to be encrypted. at the time, not only were there not a whole lot
of boxes that supported full T1 and higher speed links ... but there
also weren't a whole lot of boxes that support full T1 and higher
speed encryption.

a joke a like to tell ... which occured possibly two years before the
NSFNET1 RFP announcement ... was about a posting defining "high-speed"
.... earlier tellings:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/94.html#33b High Speed Data Transport (HSDT)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000b.html#69 oddly portable machines
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000e.html#45 IBM's Workplace OS (Was: .. Pink)