constructing binary \n

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Wed Sep 29 22:16:40 EDT 2004

Steven Arnold wrote:

> Is there a more elegant way to construct \[a-z] in a string than
> something like:
>
> s = '\\n'
> result = eval( "'%s'" ) % s
>
> Another ugly method would be to build a dict with all the different
> special letters I want as keys, and their corresponding values as
> values.  Or I could have a huge if/elif structure.  I can't make ord
> work, because while ord( '\n' ) gives me a reasonable integer that I
> can interpolate with %c, I don't have '\n', I have '\\n'.

No, you actually *do* have '\n', the single byte that represents ASCII
linefeed.

 >>> len('\n')
1
 >>> len('\\n')
2
 >>> ord('\n')
10
 >>> ord('\\n')
Traceback (most recent call last):
TypeError: ord() expected a character, but string of length 2 found
 >>> for char in '\\n':
...     print ord(char)
92
110

Note that '\n' is a single byte, while '\\n' is two bytes.  In the first
case, '\n' is interpreted as the single LF byte.  In the second case,
'\\' collapses into a single backslash, giving you a backslash byte and
a 'n' byte.

When you type a string literal containing a backslash, if that backslash
can combine with the following character to make a valid escape code, it
*will* do so unless you've explicitly turned off escaping (by, e.g.,
using raw strings).  Of course, if the combination is *not* a valid
escape code, then the backslash and following character will be
interpreted normally.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International