Binding? problem

Josh English english at spiritone.com
Fri Sep 10 17:08:18 EDT 2004

I may not be using the language properly, but I suspect what I have is a
  binding problem and I'm wondering if there's a better solution than
what I've come up with.

I'm working on a Stack based language that can import methods from
predefined libraries. Here's what I mean.
-------
class S:
	def __init__(self,value):
		self.value = value

	def __repr__(self):
		return '<%s>' % (self.__class__.__name__)

class Library:

	### this method refers to 'self.s' which it isn't
	### an attribute or method
	def do_this(self):
		self.s.value = 'this'

class Runner:
	def __init__(self):
		self.s = S('whock')

	def __repr__(self):
		return '<%s %s>' % (self.__class__.__name__,self.S)

	def importmethod(self,obj):
		#setattr(self,obj..__name__,obj.do_this)
		self.do_this = obj.do_this

r = Runner()
print dir(r)

r.importmethod(Library)
r.do_this()
-----------
This basically all I want to do, but the last line raises an error
because the Library class has no attribute 's'. Right now my workaround
is to declare the do_this() method of the Library class:

	def do_this(self,parent):
		parent.s.value = 'this'

and use this in the Runner class:

	def importmethod(self,obj):