Connecting to a postgresql DB?

Peter Maas peter.maas at mplusr.de
Thu Sep 9 03:39:49 EDT 2004

Lance Hoffmeyer schrieb:
> I am trying to learn some basics of python.  One of the things
> I want to do is write a script to access a postgresql database
> DB as user USER with password PW and
>
> SELECT first_name, last_name, birthday FROM contacts
>
> print to the screen and then disconnect.

URLs for required modules:

- mxDateTime
   http://www.egenix.com/files/python/eGenix-mx-Extensions.html
- pypgSQL:

Example code:

#!/usr/bin/env python
# -*- coding: latin-1 -*-

"""
Example code for reading data from a PostgreSQL database. This
code requires the modules mxDateTime and pyPgSQL (DB-API 2.0
compliant so that the calls are not database dependent except
of connection URL and some SQL capabilities).
"""

# PostgreSQL interface module
from pyPgSQL import PgSQL

if __name__ == '__main__':
     # open connection
     con = PgSQL.connect(None, "aUser", "aPasswd", "aHost", "aDatabase")

     # create cursor
     c_adr = con.cursor()

     # let cursor execute an SQL command
     c_adr.execute("SELECT * FROM address")

     # fetch a result set
     r_adr = c_adr.fetchmany(10)

     # The result set is a list of records.
     print r_adr[0]

     #  Each record is a dictionary like object with field names as keys.
     print r_adr[0].keys()

     # The field values are the dictionary values.
     print r_adr[0]["firstname"]

     # print all records
     for record in r_adr:
         print record