'telegraphy' as a means of data entry

Cliff Wells clifford.wells at comcast.net
Mon Sep 13 02:26:05 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 15:44 +0200, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> > And Tkinter could certainly do it to, but I don't do Tkinter. :)
>
> in Tkinter, you'll find the event time (in milliseconds) in the time
> attribute of the event descriptor:

> also note that unlike Peter's example, the time attribute contains
> the time when the event was generated, not when it reached your
> program.

Here's a more complete example in wxPython.  Like the effbot's example,
this uses the time the event was generated.  I didn't really feel like
examining all the possible places a wav file might exist on all
platforms, but here's a start:

import wx

SOUND = {
    '__WXMSW__': 'c:/winnt/media/ding.wav',
    '__WXGTK__': '/usr/share/sounds/generic.wav',
    }[wx.Platform]

class Panel(wx.Panel):
    def __init__(self, parent, id):
        wx.Panel.__init__(self, parent, id)
        self.ts = None
        self.sound = wx.Sound(SOUND)
        if not self.sound.IsOk():
            self.sound = None
            print "Your sound file is bad."
        self.Bind(wx.EVT_KEY_DOWN, self.OnKeyDown)

    def OnKeyDown(self, evt):
        if evt.GetKeyCode() == wx.WXK_DELETE:
            t = evt.GetTimestamp() / 1000.0
            if self.ts is not None:
                print "time between", t - self.ts
            self.ts = t
            if self.sound:
                self.sound.Play(wx.SOUND_ASYNC)

class Frame(wx.Frame):
     def __init__(self):
         wx.Frame.__init__(self, None, -1, 'test')
         p = Panel(self, -1)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    app = wx.PySimpleApp()
    frame = Frame()