namespace/dictionary quandry

Jack Carter jcarter at johmar.engr.sgi.com
Wed Sep 22 15:31:16 EDT 2004

On Sep 22,  8:48pm, Peter Otten wrote:
> Subject: Re: namespace/dictionary quandry

> I just ensure that all arguments not already in self.locals are added with
> their name as their value. (I also renamed 'parent' to 'self' - I could not
> stand it any longer :-)

Novice error on my part. Thanks for the correction.

> Note that I don't particularly like both hacks and would rather use plain
> old python functions with standard python syntax instead of your custom
> language.

It makes the programmers job easier, but not the customer
who may just want a non-gui debugger commandline session tool.
That customer doesn't want to know anything about python or
function calls even though underneath the covers that's what
they are getting. At the same time, the testers want the full
scripting power of python.

To make life even more fun, there is a C++ front end and C++
back end that deal with many processes over many nodes. Some
of the commands are syncronous and return a value that feed
into the python name space and others are asyncronous that
may implode somewhere in the future and need to bring the
whole mess to some sane state to handle the problem

I guess it is my own private hell to work on.

Your change seems to work great!

Thanks,

Jack