re-entering in the normal flow after an exception is raised

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 02:48:27 EDT 2004

Mathias Waack <M.Waack at gmx.de> wrote:

> Alex Martelli wrote:
> > If something is too complicated for C++, I would assume it's WAY
> > too
> > complicated for Python.
>
> It's too complicated for C++ to handle lists containing arbitrary
> types, declaring functions working on arbitrary types, creating
> classes at runtime...

Runtime creation, yes (due to C++'s choice to work with existing system
tools, chiefly the linker, and limit the language so as to make it
reasonably easy to implement on top of existing linkers) -- the other
stuff, minus the runtime part, is easily handled by templates, of
course, so it's _not_ "too complicated for C++".  If you relax the
constraint on linker limitations (like just about all existing C++
implementations do), then creating and dynamically loading dynamic
libraries allows the do-it-at-runtime part just as well.

Resumable exceptions are a completely different issue from "what
capabilities can I assume in the existing system tools that I want to be
able to collaborate with".

Alex