up with PyGUI!

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Thu Sep 16 12:18:52 EDT 2004

Neil Hodgson said unto the world upon 2004-09-16 08:46:
> Alex Martelli:
>

>>Developing a tool such as, say,
>>BlackAdder or WingIDE, should cost MUCH less over there, yet if sales
>>are all done through the net it should not matter at all whether a tool
>>is written in Brazil or Norway.
>>
>>Clearly it's not happening.  Even third-world countries with HUGE
>>presence in the IT industry, such as India, are totally concentrating on
>>developing custom applications, not tools for resale via the net.  As
>>far as I know all commercial IDE's and other tools of that ilk come from
>>Canada, the US, and the rich parts of Europe.  It's a puzzlement!
>

>    Much of development staff at theKompany are located in Romania and
> Ukraine. I've worked on development tool projects where most of the software
> was developed in Egypt and India although the brand on the products appeared
> USAn.
>
> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-10-15-012-20-PS-BZ-KE
>
>    Neil

Hi all,

I don't agree with Alex that it is a puzzlement and I think that Neil's
reply points the way to the answer.

I think it is pretty clearly due to sentiments found on the
chauvinism <----> racism continuum.

I have met here in Canada more than a few manual labourers, cab drivers,
etc. who hold advanced degrees from perfectly good universities which
have the "misfortune" to be located somewhere "not white enough" for the
degree to count. Similarly, I have seen otherwise sensible people
express reservations about software because it was produced in Russia,
India, or some other country insufficiently close to the "western first
world".

As someone outside the industry, it seems to me that custom software,
being more expensive to produce per unit is the domain where the lower
wages paid in, say, India, as compared to, say, Redmond or San Francisco
are able to surmount the reflex to "go first world". It also seems that
much of the IT outsourcing to developing nations is as much about the
developing nations coders using the NA firm's name to gain
"respectability" as it is about the firms using them for cheap coding.

(Flame retardant -- all quoted phrases are mentioned, not endorsed.)

Best to all,

Brian vdB