Method returning new instance of class?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 18:04:02 EDT 2004

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Arthur wrote:
> > """The copy module does not use the copy_reg registration module."""
> >
> > This is actually pretty esoteric stuff for someone who has not delved
> > into these mysteries before, so I am a bit lost.
>
> It appears that this documentation is incorrect. Just look at the
> source of copy.py and see for yourself:

You're right, of course, but it's hard to reconcile that with the recent
diktat on py-dev that what's in the source doesn't matter -- only what's
documented to work matters (it's in Brett Cannon's python-dev summary of
3 weeks ago, I can find the links from there to the archives if you
wish).  Given that peculiar decision, the fact that copy DOES use
copy_reg, in total violation of the docs, looks like it could be taken
away anytime, as a bugfix...

If we want to keep advising people to check the sources, then that
particular python-dev decision must then be reversed; otherwise we
should stop advising using the sources as the ultimate reference... I
don't think we can have it both ways!

Alex