Xah Lee's Unixism

Dave Hansen iddw at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 8 19:36:49 EDT 2004

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 10:29:04 -0700, Alan Balmer <albalmer at att.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 00:49:18 GMT, gwschenk at fuzz.socal.rr.com (Gary
>Schenk) wrote:

[...]
>>Don't you dittoheads ever get your facts right?
>

>What's a "dittohead"? Are you trying to convey a personal insult of
>some kind? Please let me know, so I can call you a name, too.

A "dittohead" is someone who regularly listens to and agrees with Rush
Limbaugh (popular conservative U.S. radio talk show host).  It is a
tradition that callers on his show (at least those that agree with
him) start their call with something like "Country redneck dittos to
you, Rush," or "Hey, Rush, blues-pickin' Cajun dittos" before
launching into the subject of their call.  It is intended to be an
insult implying the "dittoheads" don't have any thoughts of their own,
but merely are told what to think (probably by Rush), and do so.  The
"dittoheads" have embraced the moniker but not the implication, seeing
the insult as an act of desperation attacking the person (ad hominem)
rather than addressing the issues.

FWIW, I listen to Rush because he's the most entertaining thing on the
radio during my lunch hour, but I don't agree with him often enough to
be a dittohead.

ObPython: Rush could have been the basis of a great Monty Python skit.

AFWIW, My youngest nephew (5 months old) is named for his father.  My
sister doesn't want him known as "Junior," so she is contemplating the
nickname "Ditto."

ObPerl: There really _is_ more than one way to do it.

ObUnix: Max OS X has a "ditto" command that's the same as "cp" only
different.

ObLisp: I can't think of a thing.  Weclome to afc thread drift...

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.