i am going to get crazy!!!

andresm xv0017python at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 11:57:09 EDT 2004

Steven Bethard <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.3350.1095230449.5135.python-list at python.org>...
> Cliff Wells <clifford.wells <at> comcast.net> writes:
> >
> > I don't know if this is any good, but since you like Eclipse:
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyeclipse/
>
> Actually, if you like Eclipse, I'd suggest pydev:
>
> http://pydev.sourceforge.net/
>
> It's actually still updated from time to time (last in July of this year), and
> I've played around with it a little back when I had to write in Java (ugh!)
> and it did integrate pretty well with Eclipse.  If I remember right though, it
> doesn't use the code-completion that all the wxPython based apps do...
>
> Steve

Sorry for my bad english =( i am from bolivia plus i
havent sleeped at all last night plus i am kind of
disapointed.

 I am not interested in gui design in particular,
the only thing i want in an ide is that it have full
code completion like i tried to describe with that
mess of words =P i will try to refactor:
-------------------------------- case 1 ----------------------------
 if i am learning how to use the sys
module in my code,then i type:

      sys .

  A list should appear showing me all the
  attributes of the module or
  class : variables,locals,globals,builtins,etc.

  like typing dir(sys) or sys.__dict__

  when i focus on one
  item in the list of attributes , for example "
setprofile " method of the sys module, the
documentation of the method should appear in another
popup
----------------------------------- case 2----------------------------

   I dont have an ide that suports this feature , so i have
 to press alt+tab to go to the shell ( ipython is spectacular)
 type help(sys) , look for the member i want, in this case the
 set profile builtin function , or i type help(sys.setprofile) or
 i type sys. +tab and i python ' shows me all the members of'
 sys modules, Then i have to go back to editor and keep
 writing
------------------------------------ conclusion
------------------------
 with an ide i can scan object's behavior and their members's
 doc in 1.5 seconds while not changing the enviroment , in situa
 tion 2 i can do exactly the same, just that it takes 5 to 10 sec
 which is way to much time for an operation i do so so frecuently
 This is an example of how an ide makes a huge diference . This
 is the only feature i want in an ide, it saves tons of time

 If you still havent tried a ' powerfull ide' please try downloading
 netbeans and coding a simple class :
 http://www.netbeans.org/downloads/index.html

 I have tried a number of python ides, and eclipse-plugins for
 python, all the eclipse plugins are abandoned or are just text
 editors with sintax highlinting , none of the ides i tried fully
suport
 full code completion dot-trigered with docstring thing, i have tried:

 Pycrust or py, komodo , wingide , kate , spe , boa ,idle, drpython,
eric3 , blackader , scite , etc and no luck. Komodo is 100% the best
but it still lacks a litle and it totaly SUCKS for linux , and is
beautifull
for windows.

 I am sure most people have used this kind of code
completion - help system since it is part of many
ides, like netbeans, eclipse , zend studio , jcreator
, sharp develop , .net , etc.

 But the question again, how do you remember all
methods,attributes,parameters , builtins , etc without
code completion-calltip-auto doc help of any modern
ide? except python ones =(

 Are you in case 1 ? cause is too time consuming