python and bit shifts and byte order, oh my!

Reid Nichol rnichol_rrc at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 9 23:21:42 EDT 2004

I played with bit shifts on my PC and tried the same thing on a Mac OS X
machine.  They produced the same results, so I would assume that the way
the bits and how they are interpreted are as in this link:

http://www.khakipants.org/archives/2003/03/bitlevel_input_and_output.html

At least in memory while the interpreter is running.

It's my first attempt down there and I need to know.  So, is this how
Python works at the bit level?

I know that storing the number on disk means byte-order, etc.  But, that
doesn't seem to be in play here.

Do I have the right thinking here?  Or am I wrong?  If so, how doesn't
it actually work?