Social Analysis and Modeling for Python

val val at vtek.com
Thu Sep 30 12:21:46 EDT 2004

"Cameron Laird" <claird at lairds.us> wrote in message
news:4abs22-p18.ln1 at lairds.us...
> In article <mailman.4096.1096482802.5135.python-list at python.org>,
> Bishara Gabriel  <bgabriel at cloudthunder.com> wrote:
> >Latest Revision of Social Analysis and Modeling in Python:
>
>http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~bgabriel/Social_Analysis_&_Modeling_in_Python.pdf
>
> [...]
>
> ...  If this were my proposal, I'd aim for the far more powerful,
> "this project demonstrates Python's suitability as a vehicle which
> simultaneously expresses a theoretical model in a way researchers
> understand, and calculates the consequences of that model with a speed
> and reliability humans don't match."

well, 'If this were my proposal, I'd aim for the far more powerful,'
"In addition to conventional wisdom, Python may be considered as
a unique *science tool* providing an opportunity (1) *to build models
programmatically* - using online experimental data, data-driven
techniques, and databases integrated with the models, (2) to keep
the models in a dynamic format available for online analysis,
testing, and updating.  Such online science/reasoning tools may as well be a
unique
communication vehicle among scientists speeding up drastically
understanding complex/data-intensive phenomena such as genome dynamics,
social processes, terror networks, industrial dynamics, etc."