Modules are hashable?!

Jason Lai jmlai at uci.edu
Fri Sep 3 00:23:49 EDT 2004

Maurice LING wrote:

> The idea that I get from reading this thread is that objects that can be
> type compared (comparing the contents) are not hashable, and they are
> list, strings, tuples and dictionary. Is there any others that fall into
> this category? Is there any way to make them hashable?

Well, strings and tuples are immutable, so they provide a hash function
(since it's safe to hash them by contents; the contents are pointers
that don't change.) Anything that provides a hash function can be
hashed. You could theoretically create a new list type that works
exactly like a normal list, but hashes based on ID.

> Hashable objects, on the other hand, are hashed based on say, the
> pointer address pointing the object or an identifier in the Python VM
> symbol table or something. It's like to say that when you hash a human,
> you get the name and not the physical dimensions of the person. The
> person can grow fat or slim down, but the name is still the same.
>
> Maurice

Heh, like giving every person a unique govt-assigned ID number. You
could have two people who are exactly alike -- cloned atom-by-atom, or
something -- but they wouldn't have the same ID. And the term "hashing"
originates from chopping things up, so hashing humans wouldn't be a good
idea :P

  - Jason Lai