up with PyGUI!

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 18:31:13 EDT 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:08:49 -0400, Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> wrote:
> [... ]The only difference that I can see is yours
> relies on an implicit technique to actually add the objects to their
> container, while mine uses an explicit one.

You are missing the point. There is an important difference between
"imperative" and "declarative". Both are explicit -- the only thing
that is implicit in the declarative version is the way the class
declaration is going to be processed by the metaclass constructor. The
descriptive style is more flexible, because the description can be
passed around to other objects that can use it for anything
imaginable. For example, a database entity descriptor (similar to the
ones implemented in sqlobject) can be passed to the report generator
wizard, or to the form generator wizard. The same form description can
be used with multiple target environments much easier than an
imperative version. It isolates the description of what you want from
the actual implementation for the target environment.

To some extent, the choice between declarative and imperative styles
is a matter of personal taste. But also, it's about how to model
problems using programming languages. There's a reason why some people
use functional or declarative languages instead of imperative ones. As
such, we may be forcing Python's syntactic limits by using it for this
type of stuff. That's why I'm calling this an **experiment**. We need
to have something to work with for some time to check if we are
productive and if we feel comfortablee with the way we're working.

As such, I invite you to try it a little bit, and to see how does it
fit into your programming environment. I'm not in a hurry -- I just
want to do it right and to make something useful. And you can rest
assured that your observations are being taken with the most respect
and interest on my part.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos