Just curious

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Mon Sep 20 17:27:28 EDT 2004

Ken Parkes wrote:
> I understand usual practise to involve responding to a posting within the
> original thread.   In this group there seem to be many responses to a
> question which start a new thread; viz. <new python book!!> by vegetax
> leads to a new thread <Re:new python book!!> by Gerrit.  Ditto <How does
> this function work?>.   Is this a peculiarity of something Pythonites are
> using, or is there a different protocol here?

Some people are reading from and responding to c.l.py from the mailing
list interface. Their responses don't always thread correctly in some
newsreaders.

I will note that Thunderbird usually places responses in the right
thread if not always in the right place. And sometimes it starts new
threads from replies, too, so it's not perfect.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter