Subclassing in C

Iker Arizmendi iker at research.att.com
Tue Sep 14 18:30:08 EDT 2004

After some more poking around I think I've found a solution
to my problem. But although it works, it doesn't look like
the right way to do things.

In short, I updated the tp_getattro method of my subclass to
explicitly check its base class for the presence of any
attributes it doesn't know about. Eg.

    static PyObject*
    PyGrm_GetAttro(PyObject *obj, PyObject* name)
    {
       PyObject* r = Py_FindMethod(PyGrmReplace_methods, obj,
                                   PyString_AsString(name));
        if( PyErr_Occurred() )
        {
            if( PyErr_ExceptionMatches(PyExc_AttributeError) )
            {
                PyErr_Clear();
                PyTypeObject* t = obj->ob_type;
                return t->tp_base->tp_getattro(obj, name);
            }
        }
        return r;
    }

Again, in this case this works just fine as I know I'm only
interested in the one base class. But if I had a deeper
inheritance hierarchy I would have to do the lookup
across each base class myself.

Regards,
Iker