Xah Lee's Unixism

CBFalconer cbfalconer at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 11:51:05 EDT 2004

Chuck Dillon wrote:

... snip ...

> Going into Iraq was IMHO justified without consideration of 9/11
> or the war on terror.  Setting up a more democratic and educated
> Afghanistan and Iraq blows a big whole in Islam's isolation
> efforts and forces them to deal with the reality of the 21st
> century.  The process will be bumpy but we can no longer be
> patient when the mainstream of Islam allow violence on the scale
> of 9/11 or beyond to occur.

I disagree.  Afghanistan, yes.  Chasing Bin Laden, yes.  They were
the direct cause of 9/11 (which was not a unique occurance, except
in degree).  Iraq, no.  That was the descendent of "avenge
disrespect to Daddy" syndrome, and has been shown to have no
connection with either 9/11 nor with WMDs.

The whole business has effectively ended the punishment phase of
9/11 and justified it in the minds of many Moslems.  For a short
while there was an opportunity to do an exemplary job in
Afghanistan and show the Islamic world the possibilities.  That
has been thrown away by our Glorious Inept Leaders.

--
 "This is a wonderful answer. It's off-topic, it's incorrect,
  and it doesn't answer the question."  --  Richard Heathfield

 "I support the Red Sox and any team that beats the Yankees"