about presicion

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 07:26:22 EDT 2004

Anthony Baxter <anthonybaxter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another approach is to find someone with the appropriate toolchain
> (VS7.1) and get them to do:
>
> % python setup.py install
> % python setup.py bdist_wininst
>
> and then make the windows installer for the gmpy module available.

Sounds good -- are you volunteering?-)

> My understanding is that building 2.4 modules with either mingw or the
> freely available MS compiler is still a non-trivial exercise - but
> there's enough people interested in this that I suspect it will be
> resolved soon enough.

Thanks for the info!  And let's indeed hope things get better... if
mingw sufficed I could use it on my old trusty Win98-on-Win4Lin-
on-Linux setup, for example (gmpy does need speed, so maybe it's best to
build it with the best optimizing compiler available, but other modules
may not be quite as speed-critical as that).

Alex