Xah Lee's Unixism

jmfbahciv at aol.com jmfbahciv at aol.com
Thu Sep 9 09:15:05 EDT 2004

In article <20040908192913.67c07e7d.steveo at eircom.net>,
   Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo at eircom.net> wrote:
>On Wed, 08 Sep 04 11:48:36 GMT
>jmfbahciv at aol.com wrote:
>
>> In article <p9qdnTnxTYDJR6PcRVn-pw at speakeasy.net>,
>>    rpw3 at rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:
>
>> >*Only* a month?!?  Here's the uptime for one of my FreeBSD boxes
>> >[an old, slow '486]:
>> >
>> >    %  uptime
>> >     2:44AM  up 630 days, 21:14, 1 user, load averages: 0.06, 0.02,
0.00
>> >    %
>> >
>> >That's over *20* months!!
>>
>> I bet we can measure the youngster's age by the uptimes he boasts.
>
>	The Yahoo! server farm ran to very long uptimes last time I had
>any details. The reason being that they commission a machine, add it to
>the farm and leave it running until it is replaced two or three years
>later.

Sure.  But regular users of such computing services never get an
uptime report.  Hell, they have no idea how many systems their
own webbit has used, let alone all the code that was executed
to paint that pretty picture on their TTY screen.

I bet, if we start asking, we might even get some bizarre
definitions of uptime.

I do know that the defintion of CPU runtime is disappearing.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.