Social Analysis and Modeling for Python

Bishara Gabriel bgabriel at cloudthunder.com
Thu Sep 30 10:42:25 EDT 2004

Cameron Laird wrote:

>In article <mailman.4096.1096482802.5135.python-list at python.org>,
>Bishara Gabriel  <bgabriel at cloudthunder.com> wrote:
>

>>Latest Revision of Social Analysis and Modeling in Python:
>>http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~bgabriel/Social_Analysis_&_Modeling_in_Python.pdf
>>

>Recognition of SimPy greatly comforts me.

Glad to hear it.  That was Tim's fantastic suggestion.

>Is your thesis that OOP is good for social sciences in contrast to other
>sciences, or as with other sciences?  If the latter--as I believe--than you
>need to alert readers to Python's existing record of success in serving the
>sciences (see, for example, the recent SciPy Conference).

Not in contrast, no.  Excellent suggestions, we shall incorporate them
immediately.

>I don't like formulations such as "one-to-one correlation between their
>theoretical model and the Python equivalent."  It says both too little and
>too much.  If this were my proposal, I'd aim for the far more powerful,
>"this project demonstrates Python's suitability as a vehicle which
>simultaneously expresses a theoretical model in a way researchers
>understand, and calculates the consequences of that model with a speed
>and reliability humans don't match."

Noted, you can expect the modification to be made immediately.

>Do you realize how ambitious your "Proposal Specifics" sound?  How many
>hours do you estimate these seven achievements will require?  What are
>the "loadings" of your Project Manager and Chief Consultant?

The majority of the work will be carried out by the project manager (I)
and a team of 10 interested and well skilled students.  Ambitious our
project is indeed, yet we are confident in our abilities.

>For you, is "theoretical economics" inherently and comprehensively
>Marxian, or are you claiming expertise only in that part of it which is
>Marxian?

I do not attempt to conflate theoretical economics with Marxism.
Indeed, Marxian class analysis will be our entry-point because it is an
area of particular expertise and thus allows for us to add to that realm
in an immensely significant manner.  As our tools and materials intend
to reflect the broad applicability of Python in the social science we
will work with academics in those other fields to insure support for the
specifics their research.