Don't let your babies grow up to be programmers (was: up with PyGUI!)

Neuruss luismg at gmx.net
Fri Sep 24 19:01:30 EDT 2004

> What are these American products they are buying? Coca Cola and Big
> Macs (which are probably locally produced)? MSFT Windows?
>
> I don't really see a need for any American products when much cheaper
> alternatives are available, from Asia and elsewhere.

Of course you are right, and I didn't say that as an absolute
statement, I just
wanted to pinpoint a trend that you can see as positive, from another
point of view.
For example, you can buy american (or european, or japanese) products
that are locally produced, but the profit goes for the corporations
(as usual).
The good news here is that at least a little part of this value goes
for the workers who made them.
When I buy a pair of Nike snickers made in Vietnam, I'm buying
american products. I'm improving the chances that those who work in
marketing, design, accountancy, or whatever sector of the company keep
on living well, and at the same time I'm sure that a few vietnamese
who work producing them will at least feed their family, which is much
better than starving.

> Personally, I don't care much either way because Finland is one of
> those countries with low salaries for engineers, with the unfortunate
> twist of the cost of living being high as well.

You don't have to be affraid because Finland has everything to be rich
and prosperous: a transparent political system, highly educated
people, respect for law and a honest society.