Ranting about the state of Python IDEs for Windows

Daniel Ellison daniel at syrinx.net
Thu Sep 16 07:46:29 EDT 2004

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Daniel Ellison <daniel at syrinx.net> wrote:
>

>>It *has* to be mentioned, of course, that Vim (http://www.vim.org) has
>>nearly every feature mentioned about EditPlus and all the other IDEs,
>

> Except, no tabbed interface when editing multiple files (not even with
> GVIM: just ONE window, as seen from the OS/GUI level, even though vim
> can partition it).  Vim is my favourite editor, but the lack of tabbed
> interface _is_ a pity.
>

> Alex

Ah, but that partitioning, or splitting windows, is a viable alternative
to tabs. Once one gets used to it, splitting and moving from window to
window is done without thought. No, it's not convenient to have a dozen
files visible at the same time (I rarely have five visible
concurrently), but every file you've opened and closed in a session is
still available without having to retrieve it from the file system again.

The only thing Vim doesn't have is project management. But I do believe
there are Vim scripts that can handle this function to a certain extent.

Anyway, I'm not here to convert anyone. I just know that every time I've
tried to move to another editor I always end up back at Vim.

Dan