Python Webstart ?

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Fri Sep 17 12:53:19 EDT 2004

huy <nytimes at swiftdsl.com.au> writes:

> Well not really. I don't mind doing one installation of a
> (Python/Java) webstart. However, it's the automatic update of the
> actual application software which I find most useful. The alternative
> using p2exe or pyfreeze will require me to distribute the (potentially
> large) binaries manually. For hundreds of terminals, this is not gonna
> be good, especially in an iterative environment.

A network drive is not an option?  I use that with several software.  I
just update one copy and everybody has an updated copy of the software
the next time they run it.

What I miss is the option to update the already running clients when
they instantiate the class again, but then, this would probably include
performance penalties when there are no changes.

> That's an option but I don't quite trust using jython for a full blown
> application. I use it mainly for unittesting at the moment.

Have you found any problems with it?  I think that some missing CPython
modules prevented me to give it more attention, but now I don't even
remember which ones... :-(

--
Godoy.     <godoy at ieee.org>