wxPython Not Ready for Commercial Use

Polerio Babao Jr.II admin at polerio.com
Thu Sep 16 12:27:16 EDT 2004

Please correct me if im wrong. I have depended much on python and
wxpython gui apps. After a year of using python apps I was able to do
good application written entirely in python. One big problem came into
my attention. The printing support. Yes, there was reportlab. But what
if your client wanted to simulate the customized excel output and have
it converted to reportlab. you cannot do it 100%. There are so many
drawbacks which I do not like. I tried to use the xml file of excel
and modify it on the fly to answer that problem but still not a very
good solution.

I am targetting crystal report as my ideal reporting application. From
my experiences I was not able to print a very good output for
commercial application. If anyone can provide me a very good reporting
application that can be integrated within python I must say python can
be used for commercial gui app. If not then we are all correct, python
is good for training purposes but not for production yet. Please
excempt reportlab from your choices as I have used it already and was
not able to simulate excel like output, still you can do it, the very
difficult way. I am just dissapointed, now I am trying to learn c++/qt
to solve my gui and printing problem. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks.