Python for Perl programmers?

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 21 07:01:19 EDT 2004

    Markus> I am using perl for everything, even bigger programs, with
    Markus> objects, uh, modules and stuff. I know pretty much every
    Markus> trick in perl and have a lot of experience.

I was the same way 3 years ago.  I read "Object Oriented Perl" by
Damian Conway and thought "God, this guy is a genius" (which he is), the
way he can get perl to do all this amazing stuff.  In 2001, mainly for
thesis procrastination, I decided to learn python.  I can honestly
say, I haven't touched a line of perl code since then, and hopefully
never will again.  In python you don't have to be a genius to do
inheritance or to pass an array of dictionaries; it just works.

Others have answered your quest for perl specific migration docs.  If
you are a perl guru, or a guru in any programming language, I doubt
you need documentation specific to your language of choice.  If you
know what a for loop is, what a class is, and so on, learning python
is easy.  I think the 1st 10 chapters in David Beazley's Python
Essential Reference are great -- they give a short but thorough
introduction to the core features.  For a more comprehensive and
recent treatment, take a look at Python in a Nutshell and The Python
Cookbook.

JDH