up with PyGUI!

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 10:20:31 EDT 2004

Jorge Godoy <godoy at ieee.org> wrote:
> > On a Mac it looks like anything else does on a Mac, and
> > on Linux or Windows it (currently) looks like anything
> > else that uses Gtk.
>
> I'm not familiar with the looks on Macs...  But I remember something of
> it, from the last visit to a store that has some of these here
> (I remember specially the design of the computers, the look of the
> applications seemed very interesting, but KDE is approaching it very
> fast, IMHO).

IMNSHO, nope -- I'm quite a fan of KDE, but I discovered Macs 9 months
ago and immediately fell in love with MacOSX's "Aqua" user interface
look and feel.  These days I use a Mac for everything I can possibly use
one for, even though I mostly program for Linux (and a little Windows).

> I really would like a lot if it was possible to write
> non-GPL code with Qt (not that I'm against GPL software, but some

It's perfectly possible: Trolltech, the authors of Qt, will be extremely
happy to sell you a commercial license of Qt so you can develop and sell
your code as closed-source or whatever.

> > As far as I can remember, I drew them with Appleworks 6,
> > printed them to PDF files, opened them with Preview and
> > then saved them as jpegs. (Photoshop might also have been
> > involved in there somewhere, I don't recall now.)
>
> Too bad these aren't tools available on Linux or FreeBSD...  I really
> liked the way they look :-)

Me too (well, not Photoshop, actually -- if I had to process images I
think I'd use GIMP instead), so I use them on my Mac iBook 12" laptop
(whose operating system's guts aren't all that far from FreeBSD --
there's some Mach microkernel involved, but it's very unlikely that
could possibly be a problem -- those guts are all opensource, too, under
the name of 'Darwin').

Alex