Find first in sequence (simple question)

Gerrit gerrit at nl.linux.org
Mon Sep 13 15:41:07 EDT 2004

Neal D. Becker wrote:
> What is an efficient way to find the first element in a sequence meeting
> some condition?
>
> For example, the first number > x in a list of numbers.

You could do:

# WARNING: Untested code
index = -1
for i in x:
    if i > n:
        index = i
        break

This would work, and unless you can make assumption about the list, I
doubt it can be faster. If you can assume that for example the list is
sorted, it should be possible to do it faster, although I would not know
exactly how.

yours,
Gerrit.

--
Weather in Twenthe, Netherlands 13/09 20:55:
	14.0°C   wind 5.4 m/s SSW (57 m above NAP)