socket function that loops AND returns something

Michael Sparks michaels at rd.bbc.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 06:40:53 EDT 2004

Bryan Olson wrote:
> Different servers have different needs, but when in doubt use
> threads.  Threading on the popular operating systems has
> improved vastly in the last several years.  Running a thousand
> simultaneous threads is perfectly reasonable.

If you want code to be portable this is false, and I'm amazed to see
this claim on c.l.p to be honest. It's a fairly good way to kill a
fair number of still well used OSs.

Just because a handful of OSs handle threading well these days does
not mean that you will end up with portable code this way. (Portable
in that you get the same overall behaviour - not the simple concept
of the code running)

_Small_ numbers of threads are very portable I would agree, but not
thousand(s).

Best Regards,

Michael.
Michael.Sparks at rd.bbc.co.uk
British Broadcasting Corporation, Research and Development
Kingswood Warren, Surrey KT20 6NP

This message (and any attachments) may contain personal views
which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.