Secure delete with python

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Sep 7 04:40:07 EDT 2004

Paul Rubin wrote:

> I think you're best off assuming that short of melting the platters,
> there's no way to ever erase data from a hard drive, i.e. that a
> sufficiently powerful attacker can recover every state that the drive
> has ever been in.  The solution is to write only encrypted data to the

The german PC magazine c't has sent in hard disks overwritten once with
zeros to data recovery firms. No data was recovered. So unless your
opponent has secret service connections I'd say you are safe. He will
rather watch your screen or log your keystrokes than mess with the hd - if
he's not already in your WLAN that is.

> has ever been in.  The solution is to write only encrypted data to the
> drive, and don't store the key on the drive.

As a special case, avoid that the OS writes the key to disk while swapping.

Peter