Ramanujan & Python

Istvan Albert ialbert at mailblocks.com
Mon Sep 6 17:28:54 EDT 2004

barnesc at engr.orst.edu wrote:

> Spectacular, no?

Not really.

I'm might sound a bit of off topic here I but I consider both of
these as 'cheapo' tricks that only sound good on paper (and to
reporters): 'Look Ma the man can compute the sum of two cubes
in a flash'

1**3 is 1, all he needed to know is that 12**3 is  1728
Similarly knowing that 10**3 is 1000 is trivial, all he
needed to know is that 9**3 is 729.

Just as with squared values whenever one works with cubes
they will tune very quickly in and start recognize the first
20 or so by heart in a  matter of minutes...

Istvan.