Processing a MySQL Dump file with Python

Nico Grubert nicogrubert at arcor.de
Mon Oct 4 12:47:27 EDT 2004

 >>can I somehow call the MySQL interpreter in background to pass the dump
 >>file to it so the SQL Dump is imported in order
 >>to write the tables and data into the MySQL database?
 >

 >Sure, that's what dump files are good for. Simply pipe the contents of the
 >file into a mysql command. On a Unix-type system (maybe Windows too, I
 >wouldn't know) you'd run something like:
 >
 >mysql -h myhost.com -p -u myusername < dumpfile
 >
 >MySQL does all this by itself, no Python required.

Hi Jeffrey,

thank you for you reply.
Calling the MySQL interpreter manually in a shell and pass a dump file
on a unix-type system like:

mysql -h myhost.com -p -u myusername < dumpfile

works fine for me.

What I need to do is calling "mysql -h myhost.com -p -u myusername <
dumpfile" directly from python.
How can I do this in python?

Does the _mysql python interface provide a method that imports a MySQL
dump file? I did not find
anything in the API of _mysql python interface.

Kind regards,
Nico