quoting %

Dan Sommers me at privacy.net
Fri Oct 15 16:06:16 EDT 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:27:10 +0200,
Andreas Kostyrka <andreas at kostyrka.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 01:32:38PM +0200, Matthias Teege wrote:

>> Moin,

>> I need a string like this "foo '%value%'" for a database query but
>> print "'%%s%'"%value gives me TypeError: not all arguments converted
>> during string formatting. How does I quote the "%" sign in this case?

> Try: "'%%%s%%'"

Be careful with the quotation marks, too; consider the case that value
contains a quotation mark (or an apostrophe).

I don't know what kind of database and/or API you're using, but DB-API
compliant (Python PEP 249) libraries will put the right quotation marks
(if any) around your strings *and* quote any internal troublesome
characters correctly.

HTH,
Dan

--