GPL and Python modules.

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Oct 25 15:37:41 EDT 2004

Jorge Godoy wrote:
> Jorge Godoy <godoy at ieee.org> writes:
>

>>Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:
>>

>>>Whatever gave you the idea you are obligated to provide support?!
>>
>>One has such an obligation here in .br.  Our law demands that and a
>>license can't override what is stated in the law, so...
>

> Just to make it clear: I was referring to obligations to software
> distributed/sold here...

Now you tell me.  :-)

It's probably the case in the majority of markets that one is
obligated to provide some kind of support for the products one
sells.

I'm betting these laws have not yet been applied to the
*freely provided source code* that accompanies open source
software, even if the distribution of the software itself
(not the source) is matched by a big fat cheque from the
customer.  And I'll bet they won't be any time soon.

-Peter