New to Python: Features

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Wed Oct 6 18:30:04 EDT 2004

Daniel Ellison wrote:

> Jeff Shannon wrote:
>
>> That's always been my thought.  Another cliche phrase that seems to
>> me to be used counter to its explicit sense is the exclamation, "Oh
>> the humanity!"  The context always seems to suggest that it's being
>> used to imply INhumanity...
>

> "Oh, the humanity!" is a direct quote from the radio host covering the
> arrival (and subsequent demise) of the Hindenburg at New Jersey's
> Lakehurst Naval Air Station in 1937. He was a bit perturbed at the
> time...

Ahh, yes, now that you mention it, I do recall that -- I've certainly
heard that recorded broadcast, I just hadn't made the connection
there...  At least now I know where it came from, and that it's not
(necessarily) just an ignorantly-parroted misspeaking.  (Though I do
still find myself wondering how many users of the phrase realize that it
*is* a misspeaking, nevermind how understandable given the circumstances...)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International