webserverless Python Wiki Engines: do they exists?

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Thu Oct 7 14:19:01 EDT 2004

Peter L Hansen said unto the world upon 2004-10-07 06:51:
> Brian van den Broek wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a stand alone Python wiki engine that does not require
>> a web server such as Apache or MS IIS. I have found such beasts in
>> other languages (e.g. <http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?EddiesWiki> in C++, and
>> a couple in Ruby), but none written in Python. A pointer to any that
>> I've missed would be most appreciated.

<SNIP>

> I suspect the standalone Moin-moin approach would be best, though
> I believe at least one of the other lightweight ones is able to
> run standalone.
>
> You *have* see http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiEngines, haven't you?
> It identifies those that are in Python and standalone...
>
> -Peter

Thanks Peter, Carlos, and Guyon,

The story below is partly for future google hits:

At first, I did try moin-moin. I downloaded 1.2.3 as since I've never
set-up a Moin-moin wiki, the beta in 1.3beta troubled me. I started an
install and saw in the installation instructions txt file that 1.2.3
came with said:

 > You currently need an external webserver to run MoinMoin.

Having seem Mon-moin being listed as standalone on
<http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiEngines>, I tried the wiki's docs at
<http://moinmaster.wikiwikiweb.de/HelpOnInstalling>, and got the same
information on some of the pages it wiki-linked.

Frustrated, I turned back to <http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiEngines>,
following several others described as "standalone". Similar situation:
for instance PikiPiki's install instruction file says:

 > Make sure you have a web server that will let you run CGIs

Each one I tried said (things I interpreted as meaning), that I needed
Apache, IIS, or some other form of webserver.

Thinking I must not understand what "standalone" means in this context,
I posted last night's query.

Convinced by both Peter's and Carlos's mention of Moin-moin in their
<http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/HelpOnInstalling_2fStandAloneOnWin32>
does indeed have stand alone (no webserver) instructions. Evidently, I'd
been looking at <http://moinmaster.wikiwikiweb.de/>, which, on this
topic at least, is not as up to date as
<http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de>. (Unfortunately, it is the moinmaster
version of the install instructions that came bundled with 1.2.3)

Sadly, the <http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb> version of the Win32 install
docs also says at one point:

 > Not yet revised to take into account the stand-alone web server

So, the docs don't seem entirely up to date nor consistent. But I'm
working on working it out. (If I don't get it soon, time to go bug the
moin-moin people.)

Tanks again for the help, folks, and I hope the account above might help
someone in the future, too.

Best to all,

Brian vdB