MAPI Server...

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 09:05:49 EDT 2004

[junkmail at chipworks.net]
| A voice mail system uses MAPI to pass a message to Outlook Express.
| I can't change the MAPI call from the voicemail system.
| The voicemail system treats Outlook as a MAPI server.
| Is there any support in Python to emulate this role?

I was intrigued by the concept of a "MAPI server", since one
thinks of MAPI as being a sort-of hardwired protocol, rather
than something involving a server. A couple of Google hits
later, I came across the Eudora FAQ at

http://www.eudora.com/developers/mapi.html

which explains at

http://www.eudora.com/developers/mapi.html#HowDoesEudoraSupportMapi

that

"When an application calls the Microsoft-provided MAPI libraries,
the MAPI libraries direct the messaging requests to Microsoft
Mail/Exchange. That is, the Microsoft MAPI libraries are hardwired
to Microsoft Mail/Exchange."

It then goes on to explain that Eudora swaps libraries in and out
to be able to provide a "MAPI Server".

Having said all that, I seem to remember that Eudora is scriptable
from Python (or, at least, via COM). See, for example:

http://schram.net/articles/python/eudora.html

So it might be possible to set Eudora up as the MAPI Server
and then to script it via Python.

HTH
TJG

http://www.star.net.uk