define 'in' operator on lists

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Mon Oct 11 07:50:43 EDT 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:51:57 +0200, "..:: sjf ::.." <somebody at unknown.org> wrote:

>pewnego dnia niejaki(a) Duncan Booth wstukal(a) byl(a) co nastepuje...:
>> ..:: sjf ::.. wrote:
>>

>>>I want to define 'in' operator (or any "magic" function) on list which
>>>returns True value if all of list (i.e. _list) elements appears in other
>>>list (i.e. L) in the same order and False otherwise.
>>

>> How about:

>> 	ilong = iter(long)
>> 	for s in short:
>> 	    for l in ilong:
>> 		if s==l:
>> 		    break
>> 	    else:
>> 		return False # ran out of long list
>> 	return True

>OK, this is nearly what I am expecting, but I want if
>containedsequence([3, 4, 5], L) returns True, but
>containedsequence([3, 4, 6], L) returns False
>because that sequence not exist in longlist exactly

Not very tested (just what you see ;-)

 >>> def issubseq(sub,seq):
 ...     if not sub: return True
 ...     sub0 = sub[0]
 ...     start = 0
 ...     lensub = len(sub)
 ...     while True:
 ...         try: start = seq.index(sub0, start)
 ...         except ValueError: return False
 ...         if seq[start:start+lensub] == sub: return True
 ...         start +=1
 ...     return False
 >>> L = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]
 >>> issubseq([3,4,5],L)