Quixote Question

Irmen de Jong irmen at -nospam-remove-this-xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 7 18:01:07 EDT 2004

Michael Foord wrote:
> Tim Golden <tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk> wrote in message news:<mailman.4482.1097139450.5135.python-list at python.org>...
>
>>[Fuzzyman]
>>| Quixote is a web-framework. Does it act as a server or can it act as a
>>| frameowrk using the CGI protocol ?
>>|
>>| I would like to develop a website with user login, download manager,
>>| statistics etc and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. *However* I am
>>| using someone elses server, so I would like to do it using python CGI.
>>|
>>| Is this  :
>>| a) Possible with Quixote
>>| b) A sensible use of Quixote
>>
>>Quixote is *not* a server; the developers recommend Apache,
>>but basically it'll run with pretty much any kind of CGI,
>>FastCGI, SCGI etc. etc. and comes bundled with a couple of
>>sample servers based on Medusa and Twisted respectively.

[...]

<a-wee-bit-offtopic-plug>
If you want a ready-to-use server (without having to set up
your own web server).... you may find that Snakelets
(http://snakelets.sourceforge.net) may very well suit your
needs. Creating a dynamic site, and login-protected pages,
is a snap.
</a-wee-bit-offtopic-plug>

> Right - thanks for the helpful answer.
> I still seem my website as a bunch of HTML pages, but needing
> integrating with a few dynamic features.... rather than seeing the
> whole site as a single web-application.

Hmm... if you want only a little part of the website to be
dynamic, you can either:
- just serve it as static content trough snakelets too
- use snakelets behind Apache configured to proxy only some
   requests to snakelets. And serve the static stuff with Apache.

Snakelets is not mature / production quality code (although
it has been running on a low/medium-traffic site of mine for
nearly a month now without interruption). If you want something
more mainstream, you may ignore this message ;-)

--Irmen