difficult zipefile Question

matthiasjanes matthiasjanes at gmx.net
Thu Oct 7 02:26:58 EDT 2004

Michael Hoffman <m.h.3.9.1.without.dots.at.cam.ac.uk at example.com> wrote in message news:<ck1tfn$q64$1 at gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk>...
> matthiasjanes wrote:
> > def zipit(path, ziper):
> >
> >   for root, dirs, files in os.walk(path):
> >
> >     for anyFile in files:
> >
> >       fullname = os.path.join(root, anyFile)
>
> Where is the "ziper" variable used? I don't see how this code does
> anything except create an empty zipfile.

Sorry I did not post all the code:

#sample code

import os, zipfile, string

def zipit(path, ziper):
        for root, dirs, files in os.walk(path):

            for anyFile in files:

                fullname = os.path.join(root, anyFile)
                archiveName = string.lstrip( fullname,path + "\\" )

                ziper.write(fullname, archiveName, zipfile.ZIP_DEFLATED )

if __name__ == '__main__':

    ziper = zipfile.ZipFile('test.zip', 'w')
    zipit('somefolderTozip', ziper)
    ziper.close()

all seems to work - just empty subfolders are gone.

I checkt it out - 7-zip for instance keps also empty subfolders.

maybe someone has an idea.

thanks MrJanes