No more command history with cursor keys

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 07:11:09 EDT 2004

Chris <chrisNOSPAM at spam.com> wrote:

> Indeed, readline.so exists in my Python2.2 install (part of SuSE 8.2) but
> not in the Python 2.3.4 install that I built. I tried to copy the file but
> there's a mismatch.

Yep, it needs to get rebuilt for the specific Python version.

> But I don't understand what went wrong: configure / make / make install all
> finished successfully.

Lack of optional components (of which readline is one) is not an error
in the Python build, so it will finish successfully anyway.

> How can I get that readline.so file?

Have you installed all readline-related RPMs (Suse's an RPM distro,
right?), including the -devel if any?  If not try doing so and retry the
make, it should build the missing readline.so.  Otherwise we'll have to
figure out where the readline pieces are and where the Python build is
looking for them instead.

Note that there are other optional components that you may not be
building if you don't have the related -devel RPMs installed.  You can
look for all the .so that come with your suse-built Python 2.2 and see
which ones are missing in the 2.3 you built (not sure if some were just
dropped in the 2.2 -> 2.3 transition, but I don't think so...).

Alex