proposals for having more fun with map

Tom Anderson twic at urchin.earth.li
Sat Oct 9 14:47:11 EDT 2004

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Jeremy Bowers wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 13:10:51 +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:
>
> > i've got a few proposals to do, in one way or another, with the map
> > builtin. i'd like to hear what people think.
>
> Most of your proposals are implementable today with a pure Python module,
> albeit with some subclasses of built-ins.

true - in fact, i wrote such a module to make sure that this was true!

the problem is the 'albeit'; for it all to work properly, it needs some
cooperation from core types, without users going round wrapping things all
the time. still, you can probably get at least 80% of it without doing
anything exciting.

> If you're serious about this, I'd suggest bundling all your suggestions
> into a module and pointing people at them to try them out, including
> several examples of the advantages you want to point out.
>
> The best argument for proposals is to try it and find it useful, and
> since yours are easy to implement, I'd suggest taking advantage of that.

well said. i'll bundle them up and stick them somewhere; it'll have to
wait for my broadband to come through, though ...

tom

--
I came here to chew gum and kick ass