New to Python: Features

Richard Blackwood richardblackwood at cloudthunder.com
Wed Oct 6 13:35:07 EDT 2004

Josiah Carlson wrote:

>>Weird, I guess that means I can manipulate them in this way.  Wonder if
>>I can add keywords...
>>

>Nope, changing the contents of that module won't change the behavior of
>the interpretor.

Argg, what's it for then I ask?

>> <SNIP> <SNIP>
>

>If you want speed, pick another language.  Just kidding.
>
>In the case of speed, I find my brain speed to be a far more important
>resource than processor speed; which is where Python wins hands-down for
>me.  I can write good Python almost as fast as I can think and type,
>which gets me around 400 lines/day on average, or the equivalent of
>1600-4000 lines of C/C++ or Java.

I found a ObjC-Python bridge, sounds like just what I want.  ObjC is
better than C++ but just as fast (largely so, and in fact, one can mix
C++ into ObjC [C, C++, and ObjC).  Now let me mix that with Python and
I'm in heaven.  I hear there is a Lua-Python bridge too.  Lua is another
of my coveted favorites.  It is alot like Python actually, more so than
people tend to realize.

>>>Pyrex can compile a subset of Python to C.
>>>

>>Great, I'll check that out.  I guess that will allow me to extend the
>>language in C.
>>

>Yes, though Pyrex is not required for C<->Python interaction.  You can
>do it all by hand, though SWIG and Boost Python seem to work pretty well.

Can I use Pyrex with the Psycho JIT?

>>AWE-SOME Josiah.  I don't know how to thank you.  If I was **** off that
>>might do you some good eh?  Alright then.  Thanks.
>>

>Firstborn?  I'm just kidding of course.  No, really, I plan on making my
>own babies someday; with cadaver parts and lightning - no, I mean
>naturally with my wife.  Serves me right for catching bits of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368730/ today.
>
> - Josiah

Ha!