Database and Interface for Python

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 18:11:17 EDT 2004

I'm writing a couple of modules that store information about user
'behaviour'. E.g. a user accesses a certain page of a website at a
certain date-time with a certain referrer.

I need to analyse this information by different criteria. E.g. How
many users accessed the website between August 5th and August 12th,
listed by refferer !! etc It would be great to have a database engine
where I could ask these questions in just a couple of queries, rather
than having to implement all the sort/analyse functions myself.

I guess this is as bad a time as anyto start to learn to use a
database !! So I look on google and the situation is a little unclear.
I can use the database API that will give me a 'consistent
interface'... but I still need a database engine installed. e.g.
MySQL. Not only that but I need a python interface to that engine that
the database API can use ? (or I can just directly use the python
binding for whichever database I pick ?).

I think the web server I use will allow MySQL databases, so if I
install it on my windoze box and install the MySQLdb python module
then I'm well away....

Have I got it right ? Can I do 'date range' queries using MySQL,
MySQLdb and the Python database API ?

Regards,

Fuzzy